This is a representation of of some of the landmark buildings of Jewish Calcutta, among which are:
The house of Lady Ezra, 3 Kyd Street, an iconic landmark in the city of Calcutta. Once a site for lavish parties, and a private zoo, it now houses the Central Drugs Laboratory.
Riverside, which was owned by B N Elias and Company. It is a beautiful bungalow with sprawling grounds on the banks of the river. Originally it was lent out to other business CEO’s as a weekend home, but later was reserved by members of the Jewish community as a get away with family and friends and was used for Bar Mitzvahs and other parties. It had a beautiful large living room which could be used for balls and parties, a swimming pool with a water slide, tennis courts, and croquet and a dolls house that was big enough for children to play in.
Fairlawn Hotel, a family-run hotel on Sudder Street. From the official page of Fairlawn Hotel,
The building has existed on this site Since 1783, and was built by an European Mr William Ford who purchased the land from Sheikh Ramjan and Bhonay on the 27th May 1781. The street was originally named after Ford, however, the current name was adopted many years later when a Sadar Court (pronounced Sudder) was built. A sadar court is a local court of appeal. The building was constructed shortly after the land was purchased and this we know from the deeds which state that a "Pukka" building had been built by Mr Ford, when the property passed into the hands of Mr George Chisholm. The word Pukka (proper) denotes that it was built of brick, Bengalis were only allowed, by the ruling Nawabs, to build from coconut palm and mud, with his specific and costly permission.
Since then, the possession of the building has followed the following succession;
- 1801 - 1812 Mr George Chisholm (died in residence)
- 1812 - 1840 Captain Sir James Mount and Sir George Mount.
- 1840 - 1873 The Chisholm family.
- 1873 - 1900 Sir David Ezra.
- 1900 - 1936 Miss Clarke and Miss Barrett.
- 1936 - 1962 Mrs Rosie Sarkies.
- 1962 - Mr Ted and Mrs Violet Smith (nee Sarkies & Mrs Jennifer Fowler).
- 1969 - Mr Ted and Violet Smith (nee Sarkies)
- 1997 - Mrs Violet Smith & Mrs Jennifer Fowler."
Aurobindo Bhavan, 8, Theater Road, the birthplace of Sri Aurobindo in Calcutta. In a Letter dated August 1, 1978 from Nirmal Singh Nahar, addressed to the Editor, Sri Aurobindo Ashram Archives and Research, he establishes that Sri Aurobindo was born in 1872, in a home that his family rented from a Jewish gentleman, most likely Mr. Ezra, which was at that time 4 Theater Road. Today Sri Aurobindo Bhavan is located in the same premises at, 8, Theater Road. What is also very interesting is that this home features in the novel Flowers in the Blood.
Grand Opera House, 7E Lindsay Street was originally established in 1827.Old opera house was bought in 1906 by EM Cohen and transformed into a movie theater, known as Globe Cinema. The theater screened mainly English language movies. The cinema closed down several decades ago.