D. J. Cohen
Mr D. J. Cohen, O. B. E, was born in Calcutta in August 1883, and was a leader in the civic life of the city. From 1921 to 1947, he was a member of the Bengal legislative council. From 1917 to 1948, he was an honorary Presidency Magistate, and from 1906 to 1948, he served as Councillor of the Corporation of Calcutta.
He also played a leadership role in the field of education, serving as the Vice President of the Calcutta Technical School, the Calcutta Blind School and Member of the Anglo-Indian Educational Board. He was also the Secretary of the Jewish Girls School, and Jeshurun Free School. D.J. Cohen was the Vice Chairman and Trustee of the Bengal Tuberculosis Association and the Government Mayo Hospital.
He was the Vice President of the Calcutta Jewish Association, he was a Presidency Magistrate and was elected to the Bengal Legislative Council in 1921 from the Calcutta South Central Non-Muhammadan constituency. He was defeated in 1923. He was nominated to the Legislative Council by the Governor in 1923 and 1926. He was the Secretary of the Beth-El Synagogue, and the President of the Jewish Refugees' Relief Association. He took a keen interest in community affairs.