Judean and Maccabi Clubs
The Judean and the Maccabi Club
In 1929 Miss Luddy started two study circles groups to conduct research into Post-Biblical History and Jewish Literature. These two study circles amalgamated to form the Judean Club. Lady Ezra was the first President. During this phase the Club sought to serve as a social and cultural center for young Jewish people. Every week prominent people lectured there and the Club also held dances, parties and organized picnics.
In 1939 the Club introduced club rooms. During the war, it served as a center of entertainment for the Jewish troops who were permitted to observe festivals in the building.
After many Jews left Calcutta, the Club was opened to non Jewish members. During this period the Card and Billiard rooms were its most popular features.
The Maccabi Club
The Maccabi Club was formed in 1951 to promote sports among community members. Originally it had no premises and thus affiliated itself to the Calcutta Zionist Center which had taken over the Judean Club building for use three times a week. The Club offered badminton, table tennis, tennis, physical instruction, boxing, hockey, disc jockey and basket ball.
In 1955 its President was Mr. B. V. Jacob, Alec Menasseh served as its Treasurer, and the Honorary Secretary was Mr. A. F. Meyer.